Hi Liam,
  Thanks for getting back to me.
  You are correct with #2- I have many bifurcations close to the present.
The reason for this is that I am comparing between two different
habitats of 21 different species.  So, essentially, for each species,
there are 2 tips (with branch lengths of 0)- 1 for each habitat (lentic
and lotic).
  So, from what you are saying, I can't use the K statistic.  Do you (or
anyone else on this list) have an idea on a better way to test for
phylogenetic significance on a tree where comparisons are made within
species (between different habitats) as well as between species?
  Thank you for your thoughts.

-Daniel