Hi Kaspar and others,

Sorry for responding so late to this. I am not sure if there exists any
precedent for doing this but it seems problematic. We do not expect BM
alone (or a variant thereof) to be a good model to account for variation
within a species and I would strongly recommend against doing what you
propose.

However, there have been several methods published directly relevant to
this that are worth checking out. Someone else on the list may have more
insight than me on this (and please correct me if i am wrong).

There exists a PGLS-esque method which I believe is available only in
matlab...

Ives, A.R., Midford, P.E. & Garland, T. 2007. Within-species variation and
measurement error in phylogenetic comparative methods. Syst. Biol. 56:
252–270.

And for a contrast-based approach, Felsenstein has developed machinery
which has the advantage of simultaneously estimating the variances. It is
coded up and availalbe in PHYLIP within the contrast program.

Felsenstein, J. 2008. Comparative methods with sampling error and
within-species variation: contrasts revisited and revised. Am. Nat. 171:
713–725.

There is also some discussion of this in:

HADFIELD, J. D. and NAKAGAWA, S. (2010), General quantitative genetic
methods for comparative biology: phylogenies, taxonomies and multi-trait
models for continuous and categorical characters. Journal of Evolutionary
Biology, 23: 494–508.

Hope this is helpful.

cheers
matt