Hi Karin,

You could use a gls method and look at the distribution of your residuals. It
is the residuals which must be normally distributed, which can be checked using
diagnostic plots such as a histogram or qq-plot of the residuals of your model.

Cheers

Alejandro

On 30, May 2012, at 4:12 PM, Karin Schneeberger wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I'm trying to compare one trait across three (unordered categorical) groups
> including 25 species (let's say for example basal metabolic rate of aquatic,
> terrestrial and aerial mammals).
>
> If the data would be normally distributed, I would simply use a phylogenetic
> ANOVA including a post-hoc test on means accounting for the phylogeny, as
> provided by the package "phytools". However, my tip-data are far away from
> being normally distributed, and transformations only lead to unsatisfying
> improvements (e.g Shapiro-Wilk test returns a p-Value of 0.08 instead of 0.03
> as before transformation). So I am not convinced that a phylogenetic ANOVA is
> the right approach for dealing with these sort of data.
> Is there any non-parametric approach to compare groups across phylogeny that
> also returns which groups differ from each other?
>
> Your sincerely,
> Karin

__________________________________

Alejandro Gonzalez Voyer

Post-doc

Estación Biológica de Doñana
Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas (CSIC)
Av Américo Vespucio s/n
41092 Sevilla
Spain

Tel: + 34 - 954 466700, ext 1749