From: Ben Weinstein
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:38 AM
To: r-sig-phylo@r-project.org
Cc: Shea Lambert; Antonin Machac
Subject: [R-sig-phylo] find mrca of multiple taxa.

Hello all,

I'm trying to replace a clade of tips with a single tip, placed at the mrca
of all taxa clade (similar Q to here
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-phylo/2012-March/001895.html). Before
i bind tree, I just need to a nice way to identify which node encompasses
all descendants. I see many packages and functions, but i can't quite get
the result i want. Forgive me if i've just missed this function somewhere,
it seems hard to believe it hasn't been written explicitly.

Clearly the package phylobase knows which node i want, when i subset by the
tips.include

library(phylobase)

data(geospiza)
nodeLabels(geospiza) <- paste("N", nodeId(geospiza, "internal"), sep="")
geotree <- extractTree(geospiza)

## "subset" examples
tips <- c("difficilis", "fortis", "fuliginosa", "fusca", "olivacea",
    "pallida", "parvulus", "scandens")
subset(geotree, tips.include=tips)

 How can i get it to return which node it used, numbered from the
original tree?

My other attempt was to use expand.grid and mrca through an sapply
command to brute force walk through every pair of taxa, and then take
the maximum node number (since its farthest up the tree). This seems
inelegant, and i'm not convinced it works 100% of the time.

Thanks for your input.

Ben Weinstein

--
Ben Weinstein