Hi,

I have had a few replies off-list which have made me try and clarify what I mean. I think the distinction needs to be made between two types of probability: the probability that an outcome is 0 or 1 Pr(y| \theta) and the probability density of \theta, Pr(\theta | \gamma), indexed by parameter(s) \gamma. It seems to me that in order to make the problem identifiable an informative prior (or an assumption) is required for the root state. It seems to me that the strong prior Pr(\theta=0.5|\gamma) =1 is used, and then justified because int Pr(y=0| \theta)Pr(theta)dtheta=int Pr(y=1| \theta)Pr(theta)dtheta=0.5. A non-informative prior distribution for \theta could be U(0,1). This also induces a prior on y of the same form, int Pr(y=0| \theta)Pr(theta)dtheta=int Pr(y=1| \theta)Pr(theta)dtheta=0.5, but that is not the main motivation for choosing U(0,1).

For example, is this not worrying:

library(ape)
n<-100
tree<-rcoal(n)             # random tree
y<-rbinom(n, 1, 0.2)  # random data unconnected to the tree
m1<-ace(y, tree, type = "d", model="SYM")
m2<-ace(y, tree, type = "d", model="ARD")
anova(m1, m2) # asymmetric evolutionary transition rates strongly supported

y<-rbinom(n, 1, 0.5)  # random data unconnected to the tree but p=0.5
m1<-ace(y, tree, type = "d", model="SYM")
m2<-ace(y, tree, type = "d", model="ARD")
anova(m1, m2)     # asymmetric evolutionary transition not supported

Cheers,

Jarrod

Quoting Jarrod Hadfield <j.hadfi...@ed.ac.uk> on Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:30:30 +0100:

Hi,

I have been helping someone with some analyses and came across some routines to estimate asymmetric transition rates between discrete characters. This surprised me because its fairly straightforward to prove that asymmetric transition rates cannot be identified using data collected on the tips of a phylogeny. However when I run these routines (e.g. ace) likelihood ratio tests often suggest strong support for asymmetric rates. This seems to arise because there is an implicit (and unjustified) prior point mass on the ancestral state *probability*. If anyone could point me to reference that states this that would be great? I really don't want to be saying we have support for processes that we need a fossil record, not just a phylogeny, to understand.

Cheers,

Jarrod

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.