Hi Ben.

You've probably found a way to do this already (since I see that your original message was sent in early October), most likely outside of R, but I just developed and posted an R function for this which I will add to the next update of phytools. I have described this function, along with links to the code, on my blog: http://blog.phytools.org/2012/11/function-to-break-up-plotted-tree-into.html

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://phytools.blogspot.com