Dear Pas,

I am wondering what the general aim of your study is?

I agree with Ted, that you should be careful about your assumptions and the
tools you are using. Ted's point that K is a descriptive statistic is an
important one. K describes the expected divergence among tip traits assuming a
model of Brownian motion, in particular whether it is more or less than
expected via BM.

So if you find that BM doesn't fit, and then try to use K on it, what exactly
are you hoping to understand? This is a bit like the tail wagging the dog.

In general, I really don't like the term "phylogenetic signal" because BM is
the reference model, it puts all evolutionary comparative analysis in a
BM-centric perspective. That is, the null expectation is that trait diversity
is produced by a BM process, and so we have to look at "everything else" for
any ecological adaptation or other evolutionary influences.  In practice, we
can find many examples where alternative models explain the data much better,
so BM doesn't fit, but that does not mean that there is no "phylogenetic
signal" (whatever that means). Evolutionary history may have had a huge
influence, but it may be via an adaptive or other model where adaptation and
the history of selection has also been influential. It forces artificial
distinctions and frames of reference.

Anyway, what are you using to assess "performance"? Please be sure to use
appropriate statistics to assess model fit, and use descriptive statistics for
description. But please do make sure that the interpretation makes sense.

Best of luck,
Marguerite

Marguerite A. Butler
Associate Professor