Hi Vladimir.

I'm not clear on the source of your misunderstanding, so let me do my best.

1) "I think that's right" is casual shorthand in English. In this case I just mean that I think that this method will give us the correct variance on beta (but I'm not sure - hence 'I think'). It certainly seems better than computing the variance on the estimator from the single best tree or consensus tree, which ignores phylogenetic uncertainty; or from the variance in beta across trees, which ignores sampling error in the estimation of beta on any tree. It seems unlikely that this would dramatically underestimate the variance in beta.

2) The null hypothesis here is the slope of our fitted model (beta) is zero, but I don't think we need to focus specifically on null hypothesis testing. What we're really interested in is getting a "true" (or at least better) estimate of the uncertainty in the model coefficient that takes into account the different sources of error in our data & tree. I just suggested a t-test because people are often interested in getting a p-value from their fitted model and the p-value from a single consensus or "best" tree will surely be too small.

I hope that seems reasonable to you.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org