Hi Sandra.

This can be done using phytools. Both stochastic character mapping and marginal ancestral state reconstruction using the re-rooting method can accept uncertain tip states. (In the case of missing data this would just be specified as a equal prior probability of being in any of the sampled states.)

More information can be found on my blog here: http://blog.phytools.org/2013/03/estimating-ancestral-states-when-tips.html (for stochastic mapping) or here: http://blog.phytools.org/2013/04/estimating-ancestral-states-when.html (for marginal ancestral state reconstruction). Please make sure you have the latest version of phytools (at least the latest CRAN version, if not the most recent version here: http://www.phytools.org/nonstatic/) and let me know if you have any questions.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org