# Hi Vincenzo,
# You can proceed like this :
# The coordinates are used in the tiplabel function ; you can find its code by writing :
tiplabel

# Those lines are of interest to us :
lastPP <- get("last_plot.phylo", envir = .PlotPhyloEnv)
tip <- 1:lastPP$Ntip
XX <- lastPP$xx[tip]
YY <- lastPP$yy[tip]

# We can compare :
library(phytools)
tree <- pbtree(n=20)
plot(tree)
tree$tip.label
# And :
YY  # y coordinates of each tip from the bottom to the top
# This is exactly what we need !

# Here an example where I plot red points for tips 1-5, orange ones for tips 6-10, yellow ones for tips 11-15 and green ones for tips 16-20 : COL <- c( rep("red", 5), rep("orange", 5), rep("yellow", 5), rep("green", 5) )
points(XX + 0.2, YY, col = COL)

# All the best,

# Gwen