Hi Miriam.

It is the correlation structure (phylogenetic signal) of the residual error of y|x that matters, not the structure of the individual variables.

You can use an OU model for the correlation structure of the residual error in PGLS. This would look something like this (if 'yourdata' is a data frame containing variables x & y):

lmOU<-gls(y~x,data=yourdata,correlation=corMartins(1,tree))
residuals(lmOU) # to get the residuals

Finally, Brownian motion is a special case of OU when alpha=0. If you have lots of data, OU may fit better than BM even though alpha is very close to zero. So any judgement on how "good" or "bad" it will be to assume BM depends on the fitted parameter values for alpha.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org