Hi Oscar.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. By fitting gls(y~Tree,correlation=Tree) you have the phylogeny in both the mean structure & the error structure of your fitted model. This does not seem like a good idea.

If you just want to measure the degree to which your data are phylogenetically structured (i.e., the "effect" of phylogeny on your trait - although this is probably not a good way of describing it because your phylogeny cannot affect the trait, although history may influence how variation is structured among your tip species), you should probably just measure phylogenetic signal using one or multiple methods. For instance, you could use my function phylosig in the phytools package.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org