Hi Andrew, Simone, et al.,

It's probably worth adding the very minor distinction that the results of
Andrew's suggested test and of phytools' phylosig test have slightly
different interpretations. Assuming lambda < 1, a significant LRT when
comparing the fit of a lambda model to a non-lambda, BM model using geiger
would indicate that phylogenetic signal in the trait data is significantly
LOWER than expected given the untransformed tree (lambda = 1). But a
significant LRT from phylosig's lambda test tells you that there is
significantly MORE phylogenetic signal than expected under a model where
lambda = 0 (or a star phylogeny).

Perhaps that is obvious, but just in case...

Best,

Graham
------
Graham Slater
Peter Buck Post-Doctoral Fellow
Department of Paleobiology
National Museum of Natural History
The Smithsonian Institution [NHB, MRC 121]
P.O. Box 37012
Washington DC 20013-7012

(202) 633-1316
slat...@si.edu
<https://legacy.si.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=HcyfurW5xkyXw2bWu-Td5xmRPtn7-c9I1lX
iVWbeJqzfhgybLjvFBckclIN237FXoGKsGXlPAGg.&URL=mailto%3aSlaterG%40si.edu>
www.fourdimensionalbiology.com
<https://legacy.si.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=HcyfurW5xkyXw2bWu-Td5xmRPtn7-c9I1lX
iVWbeJqzfhgybLjvFBckclIN237FXoGKsGXlPAGg.&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.eeb.ucla.edu
%2fgslater>