Hello all,

I'm trying to reconstruct ancestral states in a 3-state trait evolving on a
big (>2000 tips) phylogeny. I've tried both BayesTraits and tools from Liam
Revell's phytools (continuous time Markov model and stochastic mapping)
package. Surprisingly (or maybe not?) both give different answers,
especially with respect to the ancestral states of deep nodes (including
root node) and transition rates. Is it something I should expect - do
anyone have some idea why these are so different?

Cheers
szymon
--

*Dr Szymon Drobniak*