Eduardo Ascarrunz <ear...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, I figured out I could work with unrooted trees. I suspect the procedure
> would be similar to your rooted method, wouldn't it?

There is a 1-1 correspondence between n-species rooted tree topologies
and (n+1)-species unrooted tree topologies (this is discussed in
Chapter 3 of my book).  So you can simply generate a bifurcating
rooted tree, or a multifurcating rooted tree, of  n-1  tips, and then
unroot it, making the previous root now be species  n.   Then you get
a randomly sampled unrooted tree.

This works for tree topologies but not, I think, for labeled histories.

Joe
----
Joe Felsenstein         j...@gs.washington.edu