Couldn't you also just do this back at the level of the original tree and tip
data, creating subsets by pruning the tree before you compute contrasts?

Cheers,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr., Professor
Department of Biology
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521
Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524
Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 = Dept. office (not confidential)
Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu
http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html
http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=iSSbrhwAAAAJ

Director, UCR Institute for the Development of Educational Applications
http://idea.ucr.edu/

Inquiry-based Middle School Lesson Plan:
"Born to Run: Artificial Selection Lab"
http://www.indiana.edu/~ensiweb/lessons/BornToRun.html

Fail Lab: Episode One
http://testtube.com/faillab/zoochosis-episode-one-evolution