Hi Sereina,

The two models are not equivalent. The first one is fitting only an
interaction effect while the second one fits the main effects plus the
interaction term. Something like this:

Model 1 y~x1:x2

Model 2 y~x1+x2+x1:x2

As far as I know in general only model 2 makes sense and I would not try to
fit model 1, but there may be circumstances in which model 1 would make
sense. Hard to say without knowing the question and data.

Best
Kaspar

--
Kaspar Delhey

ARC DECRA research fellow
School of Biological Sciences, Monash University
3800, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
phone: +61-(0)3-9902 0377
skype: kaspar.delhey
web: https://sites.google.com/site/kaspardelhey/