Hi, Daniel

lamda and H^2 are equivalent as we say in Hadfield and Nakagawa (2010) or said
also in Housworth et al (2004)

Housworth E, Martins E, Lynch M (2004) The phylogenetic mixed model. Am Nat
163(1):84–96.

lamda = var(phylo)/(var(phylo)+var(residuals))

A mathematical proof of this is in Hansen and Orzack 2005

Hansen TF, Orzack SH (2005) Assessing current adaptation and phylogenetic
inertia as explanations of trait evolution: the need for controlled
comparisons. Evolution 59(10):2063–2072

More general verison of H^2 or lamda is

lamda = var(phylo)/(var(phylo)+var(all other random effects + residuals))
(probably not including measurment errors)

Best wishes,

Shinichi

On 24/07/2014, at 10:51 am, Daniel Fulop