This is an interesting problem. It is easy to do what you've described using the package plotrix, once you figure out the internal workings of ape's nodelabels function. I posted a solution on my blog here: http://blog.phytools.org/2014/08/plotting-multiple-binary-characters-at.html.

Let us know if this is what you had in mind.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org