Hi Gabriel.

You could try the following, which worked for me with a simulated tree containing 9898 tips, 7898 of which were extinct:

library(phytools)
obj<-drop.tip(tree,getExtinct(tree))
obj

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org