Hi Maria.

To make sure this is not an error of the software, I highly recommend you install the latest version of phytools (or at least the latest version on CRAN). The current CRAN version is 0.4-31. I know in some earlier version of phytools there was an issue with make.simmap if your data had more than two states, but this should be fixed in the current CRAN version.

Having updated phytools (and if the result persists) you might also compare your result to one obtained using Q="empirical" (the default). If you do this then the function will use the single most likelihood value for the transition matrix. This could tell you if the result you have found is being influenced by the prior (although the mean of the prior in make.simmap is 'hyper-parameterized' by the ML value of Q, so this seems somewhat unlikely).

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org