Hi Everyone,

I agree with what has been said so far. Tony, don't take my comments to heart. Your contribution is most welcome as your opinion is highly respected (by me and hopefully by others). Same goes for all the other authorities on the list e.g Liam, Joe, Ben, Jarrod, Ted, Marguerite and others. I don't contribute much these days due to time constraints, which is a shame because I think that lists like this do help people, even if particular answers to particular questions are not quite right or are incomplete in some sense for the original poster. And I like helping people too! Questions can get answers that evolve into interesting threads in their own right (like this one, although a bit off-topic). Mailing lists like this are more of a group conversation rather than a simple "do this" or "don't do that" type of thing. I've been on lists since the '90s (does anyone remember sci.bio.evolution on USENET?). This is one of the best lists I've been on, largely because I know that some of the best researchers in the field read the list and sometimes respond.

Tony, I know that statistical advice is easier to give when the person and data are live right in front of you. That's why I invariably only see people by appointment when I give stats advice. I don't like giving advice over email and I don't give advice over the phone. (Actually, I never answer my phone but that's another story.) It's a bit different on the list because other authorities can read the advice an chime in if they disagree with anything I say. Hopefully we can all benefit from that.

Keep on posting everybody!

Simon.