This is not a sister-clade method but ...

If you are happy with a model in which there are underlying polygenic
quantitative characters, covarying ones whose evolution is modeled by
Brownian Motion model, and some two-state discrete characters arise by
imposing a developmental threshold on each quantitative character, you
might look at my 2012 paper in American Naturalist:
http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.1086/663681
The method is designed for use with a known phylogeny and infers the
evolutionary covariances of the underlying quantitative characters (the
"liabilities").

My C program Threshml analysis this model by MCMC sampling.  It can, I
believe, be called by Liam Revell's R package  phytools.

This threshold model, a phylogenetic version of one which originated in
1934 with Sewall Wright, is mentioned in the Maddison and FitzJohn paper
that William Gearty cited.  It is just briefly mentioned by them, I gather
because the authors forgot about it until the last minute when writing the
review. Nevertheless it is getting increasing use.

Joe
----
Joe Felsenstein         j...@gs.washington.edu