Hi Michael.

This is essentially the method of Pagel (1994). Though often interpreted as a test for correlated evolution of two binary characters, the model that is actually being fit is one in which the rate of transition 0->1 (or vice versa) in character A is affected by the state of binary character B; or, conversely, if the rate of transition 0->1 (or vice versa) in character B is affected by the state of character A.

This is implemented in fitPagel of phytools and I believe that this & other more sophisticated flavor are available as part of the package corHMM.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Associate Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org