Another possibility is to do a regression to predict variance for species
with a single observation. Or even do a phylogenetic regression so species
nearer the ones with missing data matter more.

But all this stuff is minor tweaks: it's great you're incorporating
measurement error at all, and I hope your results are robust to any of
these suggestions for tweaks.

Best,
Brian

Brian O'Meara, http://www.brianomeara.info, especially Calendar
<http://brianomeara.info/calendars/omeara/>, CV
<http://brianomeara.info/cv/>, and Feedback
<http://brianomeara.info/teaching/feedback/>

Associate Professor, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
Associate Head, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
Associate Director for Postdoctoral Activities, National Institute for
Mathematical & Biological Synthesis <http://www.nimbios.org> (NIMBioS)
Communication Director, Society of Systematic Biologists