Dear Emmanuel and Alejandro

Many thanks for your replies.

Emmanuel, I understand what you said if I use vcv(nonultrametric_tree,
cor=FALSE) in a phylogenetic comparative method (PCM). But if I use
vcv(nonultrametric_tree, cor=TRUE), isn't this the same as assuming a
ultrametric tree? I may be missing something here?

Note that vcv(nonultrametric_tree, cor=TRUE) is different from
vcv(chronoMPL(nonultrametric_tree), cor = TRUE), which is relates to my
previous question (which one is preferred?)

Many thanks

Shinichi