Oouups, I forgot a line it should have been

library(ape)
tree = rtree(5)
plot(tree)
nodelabels()
tiplabels()
last_plot = get("last_plot.phylo", envir = .PlotPhyloEnv)

The xx and yy are the coordinates of the node (of the last plot) which are
the numbers in tree$edge.
points(last_plot$xx, last_plot$yy)

If you have these coordinates you can write your own plot function
plot(last_plot$xx, last_plot$yy)
for(i in 1:nrow(tree$edge))lines(last_plot$xx[tree$edge[i,]],
last_plot$yy[tree$edge[i,]])

Cheers,
Klaus