Dear list,

I am now browsing through a large phylogeny trying to select species for
multilocus analysis. I am, of course, constrained at least by availability
of material and thus I cannot pick a purely random subset of species.
Therefore, I would like to know how much is any particular selection
non-random (with implications for subsequent analyses). In an ideal random
sampling the picks are completely independent - if you know that some
species was sampled it tells you nothing about sampling of any other
species. In fact I need to know whether branches retained after sampling
are on the original phylogeny predictably separated by the dropped
branches. If sampling is random (or close to complete), there is no
regularity in distribution of dropped branches. Otherwise, some pattern is
(at least theoretically) recognizable - e.g. in diversified sampling they
tend to be closer to tips, in other cases they may be preferably in some
clades.

Does any measure of this kind exist (ideally implemented in R)?

Best wishes,
Ondrej Mikula

--
Ondřej Mikula

Institute of Animal Physiology and Genetics
Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
Veveri 97, 60200 Brno, Czech Republic

Institute of Vertebrate Biology
Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
Studenec 122, 67502 Konesin, Czech Republic