If you want to just extend all tips by a constant amount you can do this:

# extend terminal edges by arbitrary amount (here: 13)
idx <- which(phy$edge[,2] < (phy$Nnode + 1));
phy$edge.length[idx] <- phy$edge.length[idx] + 13;

HTH.
Joseph.
Joseph W. Brown
Post-doctoral Researcher, Smith Laboratory
University of Michigan
Room 2071, Kraus Natural Sciences Building
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1079
josep...@umich.edu