Hi Alejandro.

If the discrete character is mapped on the tree in a "simmap" style, then the student could use the phytools function sim.rates. Let me know if you need more information.

Sincerely, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Associate Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://blog.phytools.org