You can run in OUwie if you set the root.age (we should probably make that
automatic, but haven't yet). See
https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/OUwie/versions/1.50/topics/OUwie. I
believe the past issue with non-ultrametric trees comes from functions that
handles the creation of the VCV matrix inappropriately by assuming an
ultrametric tree. Using non-ultrametric trees may be possible in other OU
packages (ouch, slouch, phylolm, MVmorph, etc.) but I don't know for sure.

It's also worth checking for why your tree is non-ultrametric. If it has a
mixture of extinct and modern taxa, that's cool. If it's because you think
that the branch lengths reflect the amount of change that'd drive the
continuous character change (i.e., they mean number of generations for taxa
with different generation times, so they don't have the same root to tip
length) that's ok, too. If it's just that those are raw branch lengths
(parsimony, likelihood) without making the tree a chronogram, that's bad --
the main thing OU/BM models are doing is effectively stretching and
smooshing branch lengths (for OU, also adjusting the expected means) so if
the starting branch lengths don't mean something that's relevant, the
parameters you get from stretching also don't mean anything. [I imagine
you're doing it well, just a teachable moment for new students on the list].

Best,
Brian

Brian O'Meara, http://www.brianomeara.info, especially Calendar
<http://brianomeara.info/calendars/omeara/>, CV
<http://brianomeara.info/cv/>, and Feedback
<http://brianomeara.info/teaching/feedback/>

Associate Professor, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville
Associate Head, Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, UT Knoxville