Dear Jesse.

The most logical explanation is that in the fitted ARD model the rate of
transition away from the rare state is >> than the fitted transition
rates to it (or even that the ML value of these rates is zero).
Conditioning on this fitted model make it highly probably that the root
is in the rare state (and that the state is rare among extant taxa of
the tree). Is this consistent with the parameter values of the fitted Mk
model for your data?

Another option that is available in make.simmap is Q="mcmc". This
samples values for the transition matrix Q (given a model, such as
model="ARD") in proportion to their posterior probability using MCMC and
then stochastic histories according to their probability given the
sampled value of Q. In theory this should make the result less dependent
on the specific fitted value of Q.

To dig any deeper I would need to have your data & tree.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell
Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts Boston
Profesor Asistente, Universidad Católica de la Ssma Concepción
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/, http://www.phytools.org