Dear Phylo-community,

I would like to acknowledge this channel that is extremely helpful for my
education regard phylogenetic research in a broad sense. I can describe
myself as an ecologist recently introduced to evolution.

As an enthusiast and moved by my curiosity and desire to better understand
tropical tree ecology I'm now trying to include phylogenetic information
for answer my research questions. Obviously, I'm stucked in a lot of
doubts.

I'm asking if the divergence time is corelated with the probability of a
species pair positive or negative co-occurrence. I expect species pairs
relatively more divergent show greater probability of positive
co-occurrence, while close related species pairs show greater probability
of negative co-occurrence.

To estimate species divergence time between pair of species, I'm using the
phylogeny in Smith & Brown 2018 (ALLOTB
https://github.com/FePhyFoFum/big_seed_plant_trees) which is rooted and
contain 353 185 seed plant species along with 85 679 nodes, branch lengths
are dated. I'm applying the R function phytools::fastDist for a list of
sampled species to achieve a matrix of patristic distance.

I have doubt regard the values that the function fastDist is returning. May
I consider those values as the divergence time between species?

As I see in Revell's blog (
http://blog.phytools.org/2015/10/new-reasonably-fast-method-to-compute.html)
"the patristic distance between them is simply the sum of the heights above
the root for species i and j minus two times the height above the root of
the common ancestor of i & j", is this the same that Fourment and
colleagues (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1352388/) define
as a patristic distance: "A patristic distance is the sum of the lengths of
the branches that link two nodes in a tree"?

Furthermore, I'm wondering if the results of the phytools::fastDist is
interchangeable with the adephylo::distTips(method="patristic")? Finally,
is the patristic distance the right choice for my propose or should I use
another phylogenetic distance?

I would like to thank in advance you all. With my best regards.

Bruno Garcia Luize

PhD candidate Ecology and Biodiversity – São Paulo State University (Unesp)