Please see the forwarded message (with slight edits) below from Pete
Wagner, announcing a short course on paleo-phylo methods in RevBayes
at the Geological Society of America meeting in held in Phoenix,
Arizona, on September 21st, 2019. I trust it may be of interest to
some members of this list-serv.

Cheers,
-Dave Bapst

##########################

We are pleased to announce the 2019 Paleontological Society Short
Course, “Quantitative Methods in Phylogenetic Paleobiology,” organized
by David Bapst, Sandy Carlson, Laura Soul, Peter Wagner, Rachel
Warnock, April Wright & Davey Wright. This will be an all day event,
held September 21st, in Phoenix, Arizona, the day before oral and
poster sessions begin at the national Geological Society of America
conference.  Following the example set in the 2018 “Pedagogy and
Technology in the Modern Paleontology Classroom” short course, the
2019 short course will be a workshop in which presentations about
phylogenetic methods will be interspersed with hands-on exercises for
the attendees to perform.

The short course will encompass three broad (albeit connected) topics:

1) tactics for recognizing and coding anatomical characters and
character states;

2) models of morphological evolution; and,

3) estimation of divergence times among fossil taxa given morphology,
and rates of change, diversification, and sampling.

Our intent is to make connections between the important parameters for
phylogenetic analysis and macroevolutionary theory of the sort that
paleontologists study, as these commonalities often are overlooked.
Another intent is to communicate how we deal with uncertainties in
relevant rate parameters and even phylogenetic topologies themselves
when making tree-based macroevolutionary inferences.  Our goal is to
work to embrace these uncertainties rather than to either ignore them
or dismiss important questions as unanswerable because of
uncertainties.

For much of the short course, we will use a single dataset for our
examples, with that dataset and appropriate computer programs
distributed prior to the short course.  This will allow each
participant to work through steps from loading files to conducting
basic analyses. (A short workshop to help people download appropriate
files will be held on Friday before the short course.)

We are aiming the short course at a wide audience.  We will introduce
current methods and tools to young researchers interested in pursuing
phylogenetic analyses.  However, this will also be a “refresher”
course for more veteran workers who have done phylogenetics in the
past, but who might not have kept up with recent developments.  The
course contents will also be be useful for individuals who themselves
do little or no phylogenetic work, but who might mentor interns or
students interested in phylogenetics and/or who might collaborate with
phylogeneticists.

The workshop will take place at the Sheraton Grand Phoenix Hotel (two
blocks from the Convention Center) on Saturday the 21st of September
8:00 - 17:00 (with several short breaks and a lunch break). A short
workshop for installing relevant software will be held Friday late
afternoon to early evening at the Convention center, with the exact
times and location to be announced. We emphasize that because this
short course is being conducted as a workshop rather than a day-long
symposium, attendees will get the most out of the course by attending
the entire session.

In order to estimate the audience size and pre-existing levels of
expertise, we ask the interested attendees fill out a
short-registration form at:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1AsPgZNraGV6htmveMK5Yebx3q1_Eew_BaML6MLYdHQU/viewform?ts=5c989fd5

(Note that this is an informal registration; registrants are not
committed to attending and non-registrants are free to attend.)

There is *NO* fee for attending this course! The Paleo Society short
course is held the day before sessions begin at the national
Geological Society of America (GSA) meeting, and is open to all that
wish to attend. However, if you register for the GSA meeting, then you
can see the "Phylogenetic Paleobiology: Good Things Come in Trees"
session on Sunday, plus many other great paleo-related sessions.

Sincerely,
Pete

co-signed,
David W. Bapst (Texas A&M)
Sandra J. Carlson (UC Davis)
Laura C. Soul (NMNH)
Peter J. Wagner (U. Nebraska, Lincoln)
Rachel C. M. Warnock (ETH Zurich)
April M. Wright (Southeastern Louisiana)
David F. Wright (AMNH)