Hi Mario,

In the class "phylo", nodes and tips are numbered sequentially so it is no problem to have data associated with both. This is done in many functions in ape and in phangorn. I think the solution to your headaches is in this document (§ 4.4):

http://ape-package.ird.fr/misc/FormatTreeR_24Oct2012.pdf

HTH

Best,

Emmanuel