Howdy y'all,

We would like to give a short reminder about the upcoming 2019
Paleontological Society Short Course, “Quantitative Methods in Phylogenetic
Paleobiology”. Our short course will be held this Saturday, September 21st,
from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM (local Arizona time), in the ‘Valley of the Sun’
ballroom at the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel.

Participation in this short course is free of charge to any interested
individuals, including those who may not be registered for GSA. We request
that all of those who plan on attending to register via our Google Form, if
they have not done so, even on the day of the workshop itself. We will be
able to best aim our instruction if we have accurate information on the
background and interests of our participants. Registering will also add you
to our email list so that you can get future updates about the workshop
later in the week. Please feel free to share this information and invite
anyone in the Phoenix area who might be interested in participating,
including non-paleontologists.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1AsPgZNraGV6htmveMK5Yebx3q1_Eew_BaML6MLYdHQU/viewform?ts=5c989fd5

You can find more information including the workshop schedule, data files
and other workshop materials as we continue to post them, and a short
reading list at the main course website:

https://dwbapst.github.io/PaleoSoc_phylo_short_course_2019

Please note that we will be expecting all who are attending the short
course to behave as described in our Expectations of Conduct statement,
available at our website.

As this will be a “hands on” workshop, participants are encouraged to bring
their personal computer (and power cord!), with several pieces of free
software downloaded and installed beforehand.  Instructions for installing
these programs on various operating systems can be found at the following
link:

https://dwbapst.github.io/PaleoSoc_phylo_short_course_2019/articles/install_main.html

We will have a pre-workshop meetup this Friday evening, before the Short
Course, where several of us will be present to help people with
troubleshooting the installation of these programs on their personal
devices. Currently, we are planning on tentatively meeting at 6:00 PM in
the lobby of the Sheraton hotel, but we may change the time and location of
this meeting depending on demand.

>From Your 2019 Short Course Organizers,
    Sandra Carlson, Peter Wagner, April Wright, David Wright, Laura Soul,
Rachel Warnock,  & David Bapst

--
David W. Bapst, PhD
Assistant Instructional Professor