Hi Hirra,

The assignment is not random, it follows the order of the sequences in the data:

- Seqs. A and B are compared and found to be identical so they are both
assigned to haplotype I.
- Seq. C is compared to haplotype I (effectively seq. A) and found to be
different so it is assigned to haplotype II.
- Seq. D is compared to haplotype I and found to be similar and so assigned to
haplotype I.

If you reorder your data and put Seq. C first, you'd obtain that C and D are
assigned to the same haplotype. The same issue occurs with ambiguous bases.

These situations certainly deserve to have an option to haplotype() to handle
them properly.

Best,

Emmanuel

----- Le 25 Fév 20, à 19:31, Hirra Farooq