Hi William,

If you want to perform a joint reconstruction of the ancestral states for both
continuous and discrete traits (e.g. to look at the evolutionary correlations)
I think that you should have a look at the threshold model of Felsenstein (a
bivariate version is available in phytools; I also remember an Evolution
meeting where E. Goolsby was working on an efficient implementation of the
model). The model assumes that discrete traits are governed by a latent process
which is continuous which makes possible to fit a multivariate model with other
continuous traits (although maybe with a reduced power).

All the best,

Julien