Hi,

A tree has n terminal nodes (aka tips) and m internal nodes (aka nodes simply).
In the edge matrix, the tips are numbered 1:n and the nodes are numbered
(n+1):(n+m) (same than n+1:m). n and m can be found with:

n <- Ntip(tree) # or length(tree$tip.label)
m <- Nnode(tree) # or tree$Nnode

Details can be found in:

http://ape-package.ird.fr/misc/FormatTreeR.pdf

Best,