Hi Oliver,
You have semicolons ; in your cells.  csv is "comma separated format". It
is using "," as the delimiter. Probably what is happening is the ";" is
interpreted as another delimiter in R, so you have a 2 column vector in
each cell. I would guess that htis will be read in as a list.

Why do you have two values in each cell? If they are important I would
suggest splitting them into two columns so that you only have one value per
cell.

Otherwise you can read in the list, and flatten it with code. But it would
probably be easier to just produce the .csv in the correct way.

An easy way to do this is to read in your .csv file with a word processor
and just do a search on ";" and replace with ",".   Then you should get 6
columns instead of three columns with two values each.

Marguerite

Marguerite

On Mon, Dec 6, 2021 at 2:08 PM Oliver Betz <oliver.b...@uni-tuebingen.de>
wrote:

> Dear all:
>
> I have an issue in correctly transferring the attached data frame to a
> matrix to be processed in the R package DispRity.
>
> I am running the following script that (1) reads in the attached
> dataframe from Excel, (2) tansfers it to a matrix X and (3) uses the
> column "subgroup" to define the two groups I want to work on.
>
> Her is the script I am using:
>
> #___
>
> library (dispRity)
>
> #(1) Reading dataframe
> Data<-read.csv2("test.csv", row.names=1, header = T,
> fileEncoding="UTF-8-BOM")
>
> #(2) converts dataframe into a matrix
> X<-data.matrix(Data)
>
> #(3)define subsets
> custom.subsets(X[, c(1,2)], group = as.factor(X[, 3]))
>
> #___
>
> However, once I have run the third line, I am getting an error message
> such as:
>
> Error: group argument must be either a "list", a "matrix", a
> "data.frame" or a "phylo" object.
>
> ____
>
> If I change the third line into: custom.subsets(dat[, c(2,3)], group =
> as.factor(dat[, 4])), the error message is as follows:
>
> Error in X[, 4] : subscript out of bounds
> ___
>

> I will be very happy if anybody can give a hint how to resolve this
> problem.
>

> My best wishes,
>
> Oliver Betz

> Searchable archive at