Hello all,

I am doing ancestral state estimation analyses with binary traits (presence
or absence of a behavior), and while doing so I ran into something that is
puzzling me.

For one particular behavior, the results look wrong to me, although R
doesn't report any errors during the analyses. Assuming Equal rates is the
best model (which I previously assessed with *fitDiscrete*), no matter if I
use function *ace*, *make.simmap*, or *ancr* after *fitMk*, this behavior
shows the same values of scaled likelihoods for all ancestral states (0.5,
figure attached). Setting marginal = T does not change the results.

When looking at this information plotted on my tree that just doesn't feel
right.
I would expect likelihood values to be greater in some ancestral nodes
(those immediately before groups of species where all of them have the
behavior) and smaller in others (those before groups without the behavior),
not the same likelihood for all of them.

Now, if I choose to run analyses with model = ARD, for *ace *and *ancr* I
get results that look similar to what I would expect (although
*make.simmap* yields
the same result as model = ER; figure attached). However, as I have
previously run *fitDiscrete* to determine what is the best model for this
behavior, and it was ER, I don't think it makes sense to just choose ARD
instead because 'it looks better' (AIC weight ER = 0.74 *vs.* AIC weight
ARD = 0.25).

As I have congruent results no matter which functions I use, I wonder if
this could be influenced by the way that this behavior is distributed
across the tree (too dispersed? - but not a 'problem' that I could fix,
it's just how my data is).
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether my results are correct or if
something might be off?

I appreciate your time and effort.
Best,
Laura

--
Laura Maria Schaedler
Doutoranda em Ecologia

*PhD student in EcologyEvolutionary Biology and Animal Behavior LabNational
Institute for Amazon ResearchManaus, AM, Brazil*