From: R-sig-phylo <r-sig-phylo-boun...@r-project.org> on behalf of Rafael S
Marcondes <raf.marcon...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, February 2, 2024 at 1:06 PM
To: r-sig-phylo <r-sig-phylo@r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-sig-phylo] Determining Order of Trait Evolution
Hi all,

This is a reply to an ancient thread that I pasted below. My question is
the same as the original one: how to determine the relative order of
changes between a discrete and a continuous traits. I came up with the
approach I describe below (inspired by Heath Blackmon in the original
thread), but I don't feel great about it. So I was wondering if anything
better has been developed since, or if anyone has any better ideas.

Here's what I've got:

Next, we will test hypothesis 3, that transitions in [discrete trait] occur
proximate in time to changes in [continuous trait]. To do that, we will
adapt the approach from Blackmon et al. (2015). Briefly, we will first
conduct ancestral state estimation of the discrete trait using stochastic
character mapping (Huelsenbeck et al. 2003) in phytools, and separately an
ancestral state estimation of each continuous trait using the function ace
in the package ape (Paradis et al 2023). We will then assess whether the
continuous trait displayed a tendency of change either before or after each
discrete transition: we will extract the value of the continuous trait at
each discrete trait transition, as well as in the immediate parent and
ancestral nodes, and calculate the difference between the latter trait
values and the value at the transition. We will also generate a null
distribution by doing the same based on points sampled randomly along the
tree. The overlap between distribution of continuous trait value-changes
immediately before/after a transition and the continuous trait
value-changes immediately before/after random points will determine if the
two characters tend to change near each other in time. For example, if the
distribution of continuous trait value-changes immediately before a
discrete transition shows little overlap with the random distribution, that
would indicate that changes in [redacted continuous-valued] morphology tend
to precede changes in [redacted discrete valued ecology]. Likewise, if the
distribution of continuous trait value-changes immediately after a discrete
transition shows little overlap with the random distribution, that would
indicate that changes in [redacted continuous-valued] morphology tend
instead to follow changes in [redacted discrete valued ecology].

Thanks!

-Rafa

*--*
*Rafael S. Marcondes, Ph.D.*
*https://www.rafaelmarcondes.com/ <https://www.rafaelmarcondes.com/>*
Faculty Fellow in EEB
Department of BioSciences
Rice University
Houston TX 77005

Pronouns: he/him

*"Eu quase que nada não sei. Mas desconfio de muita coisa"*
*"I almost don't know nothing. But I suspect many things"*
  -João Guimarães Rosa, Brazilian novelist
(Portuguese original and free English translation by me)

Heath Blackmon
<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=r-sig-phylo@r-project.org&q=from:%22Heath+Blackmon%22>
 Mon, 04 Apr 2016 13:26:02 -0700
<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=r-sig-phylo@r-project.org&q=date:20160404>

An alternative that doesn't require discretization of the continuous trait
would be an approach I used
inhttp://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/evo.12792/abstract.
Briefly you
do standard ASR of both traits (continuous = ML brownian motion; discrete =
stochastic mappings) independently. Then extract the continuous trait value
distribution at inferred transition points & compare to a null generated by
simulating the discrete trait. If your interested in doing this  email me
off list and I can give you the latest version of the code for doing this
using phytools stochastic mapping results.

Cheers

Heath