Dear Vincenzo.

If I understand your problem problem, you do not have any explicit
calibration points -- but you have a hypothesized average clock rate?

If so, then you can obtain an ultrametric tree from/ape::chronos/ for
any value of the smoothing parameter (/lambda/) and then simply re-scale
it to have the desired total depth (based on your hypothesized clock rate).

To choose a "correct" value of /lambda/ one can use cross-validation as
described in Sanderson (2002; doi:10.1093/oxfordjournals.molbev.a003974).

Others should feel welcome to weigh in if this is not right.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell
Professor of Biology, University of Massachusetts Boston
Web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
Book: Phylogenetic Comparative Methods in R
<https://press.princeton.edu/books/phylogenetic-comparative-methods-in-r>
(/Princeton University Press/, 2022)