> What symbols have the least historic baggage?

I've gone through this exercise a few times, and each time settled on '$'.

As Greg points out, pretty much every one of my my Racket libraries
makes use of this symbol (was it that obvious? :) ) exactly because I
was looking for something that Racket programmers would not confuse
for something else.

Off the top of my head, here are some other Racket symbol conventions
(may not apply to Scheme in general):

~: syntax-parse pattern combinators; I've tried to use this before and
received negative feedback about it
!: imperative/side-effecting functions
@: documentation, at mentioned by Greg, and also units
#: recognized by the reader (often in combination with a second
symbol) for various literals
%: objects, and <%> is for interfaces (as a suffix)
^: unit signatures (suffix)
&: this one may be relatively safe, I think?
*: sometimes denotes "list version" or more often just "alternate" (eg let*)
-: standard word delimiter, a la '_' in C and other languages
/: often pronounced "with", as in call/cc; can also just be a
delimiter (eg in the web server)
_: the C ffi bindings have this prefix; some use it to mean "internal"
?: predicates (suffix)
=: equality functions (suffix)

Did I miss any?

Note that I excluded symbols that already have special meaning to the
reader: http://docs.racket-lang.org/reference/reader.html

(Should these go in the style guide somewhere?)

Another idea is to use two or more symbols?