> I did *some* hand optimizing. Here's the code for the soundex and some string
> helper functions I created:
>
> https://gist.github.com/lojic/1deba97f2e2eb2fe3fc0

I'm optimistic and I think that there is still some room for
micro-optimizations (for example, replace the set!'s, but I didn't try
yet).

But more important is:Do you want to preserve the general structure of the code?

It has many small functions that are nice to write and debug, but each
one creates an intermediate string. In this algorithm, most of the
processing is character-by-character. So I think that most of the
calculations can be merged in a megafunction that avoids most of the
allocations.

Gustavo