As a meta-point, one thing our experience with trying to put together
multiple files in different languages into programs suggests that
putting the information telling us which language a given file
supposed to be in should be with the file, not with the reference to
the file (and not nowhere). That said, I think Matthew's tool
suggestion is fills a practical need and until someone implements
that, Matthias's solution should work great.

Robby