> Looking at the docs for region%, Racket doesn't have a simple way to do
> this - it still could be done by force and might not be that slow
> depending on the complexity of the "scene" in the image.  If you're
> familiar with image processing, the basic idea is recursive "blob"
> identification.

I don't have much background in image processing, but I'll keep this in
mind in case the current method becomes untenable at some point. Thanks
for the pointer!

> I saw in your reply to Matthias that you are "drawing" the pictures into
> an offscreen bitmap.  I know that word  "drawing" is overloaded:  did
> you mean you loaded a bitmap (from a file?) and made an offscreen copy,
> or that you are composing the image with pen/brush.  Reason I ask is
> that if you are composing, constructing a corresponding region% might be
> relatively easy.

What I mean is that I'm using draw-pict to cause the contents of a pict
to be drawn on a dc<%> that I get from a bitmap%. The bitmap is
initialized empty and transparent, and then the pict is drawn to it. I
can tell which pixels are affected by the drawing by seeing if they are
still transparent.

I don't know a good way to get a region% out of that, or even if it
would be faster than the current approach.

/David