Yep, that workaround seems to work, thank you.

I did not know about issues when deleting and adding children in an already
shown widget/window. It's good to be aware, that such can make a difference.

I noticed now, that although the GUI is still very fast, still being very
small, it flickers a little bit, when I switch between the tab panel's tabs,
because I am deleting children and creating new ones to take their place. In
the future, the children widgets in the tab panel are supposed to show some
data. I am not sure how to avoid recreating them, as they grow larger in
dimensions and content and the flickering might increase.

Maybe I am going about this updating widgets the wrong way, recreating them,
instead of somehow changing their content. I'll observe this and maybe ask in a
new post if necessary.

Thanks for your help!
I find the code for GUI in Racket to be quite elegant, compared to what I am
used to in GUI libraries. It takes a little time to get used to the way how
parent and child elements are handled, but so far it is great. Might be a few
more widgets or containers would be nice to have in the standard library, for
example the table-panel if it was working as well as the other widgets.
However, so far I could find all I need.