On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 6:37 PM, brendan <bren...@cannells.com> wrote:
> Scheme implementations are required to have proper tail recursion. Racket
> goes further and lets the programmer make recursive calls from any position
> without fear because, to paraphrase Dr. Flatt, it's the 21st century and
> stack overflows should not be a thing. My questions are: Is there a name for
> this feature? And do any other major languages or implementations have it?
> Thanks.

I don't know if there's one particular term for this. A resizable (or
growable) call stack, maybe?

It's very different from proper tail calls, though, because a non-tail
call still accumulates space, and you can still run out of space. It's
just that many language implementations use a fixed-size stack,
whereas Racket will increase the size of the stack at runtime. I'm not
sure what other language implementations do this.