I have a document written in #lang scribble/manual that used
include-section to include a section written in #lang scribble/lp2. It
renders perfectly to HTML, and I can render both the literate program and
the main document, with the inclusion of the literate program commented
out, to PDF individually.

However, when the include-section is present, generating PDF output fails
with an error "run-pdflatex: got error exit code" (or "run-xelatex: got
error exit code", or "run-dvipdf-latex: got error exit code"). From
skimming the extremely long output to STDERR, it is not immediately obvious
what is going wrong: the line above the Racket error message reads "output
written on guidelines.pdf (17 pages)."

Especially oddly, running scribble with --latex and then manually making
the PDF works, except that the table of contents is blank.

Any thoughts on how to debug this?

Thanks,
Philip